Printable course workbook
Take notes and pause for reflection in your printable course workbook, as you make your way through the course material. Add your workbook to your personal reference resources to refer back to over time.
4 tutorials and 5 videos
There's 3 hours of course tutorials and videos, to support you to rethink your approach to children's social and behavioural learning. Join Andrea in professional conversations with Sandi Phoenix and Narelle Dawson.
Learning checks & practical resources
Take advantage of the learning checks throughout the course to check your understanding, and download the provided resources to support your new ideas and strategies.
Understand behaviour and learn new ways to support children
Use better strategies to guide children
Feel more confident in my approach
Rethink, improve and change my/team's approach
- Meet Andrea: your course facilitator and First Door's company director FREE PREVIEW
- Video: Our purpose - seeing each child flourish (2 minutes) FREE PREVIEW
- Video Guide: How this online course works
- Your action steps: What's in Behaviour Rethink for you?
- BEHAVIOUR RETHINK INTRO VIDEO (12 minutes) Andrea Isitt and Sandi Phoenix discuss rethinking children's behaviour FREE PREVIEW
- Online course AGREEMENT OF USE
- Before you begin - SHORT SURVEY
- Behaviour Rethink course workbook (printable file)
- Reframe the behaviour visual poster
- Observations of reoccuring behaviour worksheet_template
- Shared thinking, planning, implementation and review_templates
- Recommended reading: short articles to support course learning
- Reference list and recommended reading: Books for ongoing learning
- eLearning tutorial: Understand behaviour from a child's and theoretical perspective (21 minutes)
- Video: Sandi Phoenix outlines the five Cups in the Phoenix Cups framework (4 minutes)
- Phoenix Cups © - Cup filling planner
- Phoenix Cups © Fills and empties - Activity sheets
- Check your learning for Part 1: Understand behaviour
- eLearning tutorial: Review your approach and the curriculum for influences on behaviour (25 minutes)
- Video: Your Image of the Child (5 minutes)
- The Phoenix Cups Connection Plan
- Observation for patterns of reoccurring behaviour worksheet
- Video: Bribie Island Community Kindergarten - Reflecting on practice to meet children's needs
- Check your learning for Part 2: Review your approach and curriculum
- Video: Self-Regulation Skills - Why they are fundamental, by Committee for Children (2 minutes)
- eLearning tutorial for: Supporting self-regulation (30 minutes)
- Self-regulation infographic: Do you Magnify or Meet behaviour?
- Quiz for scenarios: Is it a 'Magnify or Meet' response?
- Self-regulation list of 'too low strategies'
- Self-regulation list of 'too high strategies'
- Video: Strategies for breathing and calming
- Check your learning for Part 3: Supporting self regulation
- Meet Hayden: he's here to guide us in understanding behaviour, reflecting, planning and reviewing what we do
- eLearning tutorial: Bringing it all together - Planning to support behavioural and social learning (27 minutes)
- Templates: Shared thinking, planning, implementation and review
- Downloadable resource: Recipe for wellbeing -Vs- Combination for ill-being
- Video: What does quality in Early Childhood look, sound and feel like? (3 minutes) FREE PREVIEW
- Check your learning for Part 4: Bringing it all together
- Congrats! Here's where next...
- Before you go...
Andrea commenced studying early childhood development 29 years ago, and this started a career focused on achieving best outcomes for children in Early Childhood. After several years working as a qualified educator and leader, Andrea co-founded First Door in 2012. Her passion as Company Director is driven by her desire to promote exceptional education and care for children. Andrea promotes respectful practice that nurtures emotional security and a natural childhood. She is an avid researcher and shares views from Dr. Emmi Pikler and many leading Early Childhood theorists, play and learning ambassadors, and from current neuroscience research. Andrea has been influenced by her experience of Early Childhood Education in New Zealand, and by visiting Bush Kindys and Forest Kindergartens in Norway, California and Australia.
Sandi is the founding company director and principal facilitator at Phoenix Support. Her framework, The Phoenix Cups, have revolutionised how educators understand and work with children’s behaviour. First Door became a licensed Phoenix Cups affiliate in 2018 to incorporate and promote the Phoenix Cups, as a model for understanding behaviour relating to basic human life needs. Sandi has contributed to Behaviour Rethink by engaging in video professional conversations with Andrea, and sharing some Phoenix Cups resources, in the first part of the course.
Clare Caro is the founder of The Pikler Collection, Nature Play® (UK) and Authentic Learning Environment. As an ongoing learner, researcher and writer, her wealth of insightful knowledge is shared through her websites and in workshops. Clare embodies this knowledge and shares practical application through Nature Play groups, and in every day life and pedagogy with her own two daughters. Andrea and Clare have enjoyed professional collaboration since their first meeting in London in 2016. Clare promotes the importance of respectful relationships, helpful language and educators co-regulating with children. She collaborated with Andrea on the 'Magnify or Meet behaviour' concept and resource in this course.