Download and print your workbook, filled with thought-provoking prompts to invite reflection and professional conversations. Read the case study scenarios and related questions to deepen your understanding. Use these to consider the course of action you would take if faced with each scenario.
3 Video tutorials and learning checks
A video tutorial covers key content in each of the three sections of the course. Work at your own pace and make notes in your workbook as you work through the video tutorials. Complete the learning checks at the end of each section to check your understanding as you work through the course.
Resources and videos
Use our supporting resources and videos to strengthen your understanding of the course content. Including a clear introduction and explanation of the Child Protection Act, and an explanation of how childhood trauma has long-lasting effects across a life-time.
Use scenarios to consider the 4 types of abuse, indicators of harm, and how to respond to disclosure.
Take action to reduce the effects of child abuse, Learn how to document indicators of harm, and the steps to take to report suspicion of abuse.
Investigate responsibilities of educators and the service to meet compliance requirements, including how to be a child safe organisation, and writing a Statement of Commitment.
- Meet Justine, your course facilitator
- Video: About First Door and why we do, what we do (2 minutes)
- An intro to using online courses with First Door
- Online course AGREEMENT OF USE
- Before you begin - SHORT SURVEY
- Children at risk - Course Workbook (printable)
- Case Study Scenarios - what would you do?
- Queensland Child Protection Guide - as a decision-support tool
- Mandatory reporting by ECEC professionals
- POSTER: are you concerned about a child's safety and wellbing?
- Protecting children and supporting families: A guide to reporting child protection concerns
- PART 1 TUTORIAL: Child focused practice to protect children from harm
- The Rights of a Child poster by NAPCAN
- The Child Protection Act 1999
- Part 1 Learning Check
- PART 2 TUTORIAL: Identifying and reporting harm potential harm
- Different Types of Abuse
- The life-long effects of trauma
- Potential long-term effects of abuse
- Part 2 Learning Check
- PART 3: Be a child safe organisation
- Sharing your Statement of Commitment
- How to write a Statement of Commitment
- Being a Child Safe Organisation
- Part 3 Learning Check
- Here's where next...
- Before you go...
- Preview video: Behaviour Rethink for Educators
Justine, qualified with a Bachelor of Business, Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, and now studying her Bachelor of Education brings an extensive array of skills and experience to First Door. Her experience includes over 13 years of working in Early Childhood Education, including centre leadership and professional learning facilitation. Justine has a passion to for high quality, child-focused early childhood education, and strives to inspire others to share her passion.